Refunds and Returns

Reimbursement Basics

Learn what to do and how to do it.

If you withdraw from a class or the University, we have processes in place to get you fully or partially refunded based on state and federal regulations. Getting your money back to you is important to us – just follow the refund requirements to complete the process.

And if you withdraw from a class or the University? We have procedures in place to get you fully or partially refunded based on state and federal regulations. 

Know that we take refunds and returns seriously at Urbana University. Contact our Business Office with any questions you may have.

Refund Requirements

Get your funds back

Urbana University will issue a refund only if your account is paid-in-full and has a credit balance. This will show in your online student account, available through Self Service. Any existing credit balance that you are eligible for will be refunded within 10-14 days of the refund entry posting to your student account.

Please note there are some credit balances that do not allow refunds due to funding sources. In these cases, the credit balance will be sent back to the original funding source. 

Students may pick up their refund check from the Business Office during normal business hours (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., M-F) with an Urbana University student ID or valid driver’s license. Refund checks not picked up within 14 calendar days of printing will be mailed to the address on record.

Parent Plus Loan refunds will be mailed to the parents’ address of record. We can also send it to the student if we receive an email or letter authorizing the refund to him or her two weeks prior to the issuance of the refund. This authorization must be renewed each semester.

If your file is under review for Return to Title IV Funds, all refunds will be held pending completion of the review. For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Refunds Due to Withdraw

Find out how to make it happen.

Students who officially withdraw from the University or withdraw from classes may be eligible for a refund. This occurs on a graduated scale based on when the withdrawal takes place and in compliance with state and federal regulations. 

In compliance with Section 668.22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, current students who prepay all tuition and fees, then withdraw, will receive a refund percentage of their tuition based on the date the official withdrawal form is submitted.

Here’s the breakdown:

  • Board – Prorated for period attended plus two weeks.
  • Room – Refundable minus any damage assessments. Room is prorated for period attended plus two weeks and the room deposit.
  • Other Fees – Non-refundable.
  • Tuition – Applicable to fall and spring semesters:
    • Before the 1st day of class, 100% less advance tuition deposit
    • 1st-7th calendar day of class, 90% less advance tuition deposit
    • 8th-21st calendar day of class, 40% less advance tuition deposit
    • After 21st calendar day of classes, 0%
  • Tuition – Applicable to summer semester:
    • Before the 1st day of class, 100% less advance tuition deposit
    • 1st – 4th calendar day of class, 90% less advance tuition deposit
    • 5th – 11th calendar day of class, 40% less advance tuition deposit
    • After 11th calendar day of classes, 0%

Refunds will be issued no later than 30 calendar days after submission and receipt of the official withdrawal notice. Please check your Self Service online account regularly for the refund status.

Students who received financial aid may contact the Financial Aid Office regarding aid adjustments. State, federal and institutional aid may be reduced or removed from a student’s account if the student withdraws partially or completely from the University. 

Additionally, students who received Title IV Federal aid and completely or partially withdraw during the semester before completing at least 60% of the payment period may be subject to a Federal Return to Title IV Calculation. It may take up to 30 days to complete.

Unearned aid will be returned to the appropriate programs. Any credit balance will be refunded to the student by mail within 14 days from the date the calculation is complete, so please make sure the Registrar’s Office has the most current address on file.

In extraordinary withdraw circumstances, such as a serious illness or injury, a written appeal may be submitted to the Student Accounts Office requesting special consideration. Appropriate documentation is required with this type of appeal.

Get Started Today!

Documents & Forms

Other Financial Aid-related forms can be obtained by contacting the Financial Aid Office. These forms include:

  • Dependency Override Appeal
  • Homeless/At-Risk Form
  • Legal guardianship/Emancipated Minor Form
  • Non-Degree Statement of Purpose for Post-Baccalaureate
  • Permanent Disability Discharge Form
  • Parental Non-disclosure Application Form
  • Proof of Prior Aid Cancellation Form
  • Special Circumstances Appeal
  • Unusual Enrollment History Appeal
  • Ward of Court/Orphan Form
Financial Aid FAQs
Related Pages

Degree Programs

Bachelor Degrees

Master Degrees

Post Baccalaureate Programs


Graduate Certificates

Associate Degrees

Online Degrees