Adhere to the Following Guidelines If You Plan to Travel
You must notify OIS prior to traveling outside the United States so that the Form I-20 can be endorsed for travel, or a new form can be issued, if required. Students must complete and submit a Travel Signature Request form.
You must have the following items in your hand to re-enter the United States:
- Valid passport (valid at least six months from the date of re-entry to the United States)
- Valid visa stamp (if renewing your visa, see below)
- SEVIS I-20, page #2 signed by OIS for travel. Signature must be less than one year old (or six months if you are on Optional Practical Training [OPT] when you re-enter the United States
- Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses
If you are on OPT, you must, also, bring:
- Letter of employment from your current employer
- Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card.
If your visa stamp is not valid for re-entry make sure you go to a U.S. Consulate/ Embassy and apply for a new visa stamp prior to attempting to re-enter the United States. If you are traveling to Canada or contiguous territories for less than 30 days, a new visa stamp will not be required.
If you are renewing your visa you will need to bring:
- Current bank statements from your sponsor
- Official school transcripts from all schools attended
- Current class schedule
Make sure you schedule an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. You can find more information at http://www.usembassy.gov/.
If you are taking a leave of absence or withdrawing from classes for a period that exceeds five months, please be sure to speak to OIS. In general, F-1 students who are outside of the United States for five months or more must get a new I-20 for initial attendance and pay the I-901 SEVIS fee before being eligible.
Upon returning to the United States, you must provide a copy of your I-94 admission record to OIS within 10 days, to confirm that you have returned to continue full-time studies. You can print out your I-94 record here:https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov.
After returning to the United States, you must continue full-time studies at Urbana University. You are not permitted to take a vacation term in the term immediately after a leave of absence.
Break terms/Authorized vacation period
- F-1 students have to study for two, full, consecutive terms to be eligible for a break term.
- If you take a break term, your SEVIS record has to be updated. If you do not consult with OIS, your SEVIS record may be terminated and this could impact future visa and travel to the United States. Do not take a vacation from school without informing OIS.