Intervention Specialist: Mid/Moderate (K-12)

Intervention Specialist Licensure Program (Grades K-12)

Want to become an intervention specialist in Ohio? If you already have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college but you have a passion for teaching children with exceptionalities, Urbana’s Subsequent Teacher Licensure Program (STLP) offers a direct route to the world of special education, grades K-12. This program offers flexibility for the organized and motivated working adult. 

In addition to being eligible to apply for licensure in the state of Ohio, you’ll acquire skills in pedagogy, content, methods, curriculum and teaching strategies and combine it with field experience and student teaching. We’ll place you at schools where you’ll gain valuable classroom field experience and apply your learning in a 16-week student teaching program with students who have special needs.

Or, perhaps you want to expand your current license to work with children who have disabilities. Urbana provides a second licensure program for those who already hold a teaching license and want to broaden their teaching field as well as their employability.

Begin Your Career as an Intervention Specialist with Our Program

STLP students must complete education core courses in addition to the professional and pedagogical content courses for their chosen license area. You can use content courses completed as part of your bachelor’s degree with a grade of “C” or better to satisfy content requirements.


Faculty Spotlight

Jeanine Howell

Professor Howell has spent over 30 years working with special needs students. At Urbana University, she is currently a supervisor for student teachers as well as a professor of reading, early childhood and special education courses.  Howell is also coordinator of the Subsequent Teacher Licensure Program.

Post Baccalaureate & Endorsement Requirements

Urbana’s Educator Preparation programs offer students who have completed a bachelor’s degree the opportunity to complete the pedagogical and specialized content coursework needed to apply for a Resident Educator initial license.

Educator Preparation Programs Admission Requirements/Materials:

  • Completed undergraduate application
  • Bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution
  • Official college transcript from any institution where coursework was completed

Get Started Today!

Related Pages

Degree Programs

Bachelor Degrees

Master Degrees

Post Baccalaureate Programs


Graduate Certificates

Associate Degrees

Online Degrees