Criminal Justice Faculty
Franklin University, located in Columbus, Ohio, is seeking a full-time Criminal Justice faculty member in the College of Health and Public Administration at its branch campus located in Urbana, Ohio. Primary responsibilities will include teaching and oversight of courses in Criminal Justice at the Urbana campus. Other responsibilities include hiring, mentoring, and managing adjunct faculty; curriculum design and development; program and course assessment; professional development/scholarship, and university service/committee work.
Applicants should have an earned Doctorate in Criminal Justice, Public Safety, Public Administration or a closely related field of study. Candidates who are ABD or candidates who are enrolled in a terminal degree program and have prior experience in the above areas may also be considered. Candidates should possess a minimum of five years of experience in public safety such as law enforcement, corrections, fire service or emergency management. Academic experience teaching related courses at a college or university and curriculum design experience are highly preferred.
Major duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Develops course content, activities and assignments under the direction of the Program Chair
• Updates and maintains course content, resources, activities and assignments on a regular basis under the direction of the Program Chair
• Establishes course standards, assuring consistency of course delivery through regular communications with all faculty teaching assigned courses
• Implements course assessment procedures
• Teach courses in the Criminal Justice program
• Provides or serves as a substitute instructor for courses (if necessary)
• Advises students with course scheduling, job opportunities in the field of study and requirements for graduation
• Participates in personal professional development
• Participates in faculty meetings and appropriate professional development activities
• Assign adjunct faculty to teach course(s) in accordance with University policies
• Participates in the regularly scheduled Department, College and University meetings
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Department Chair
• Works with Administrative Assistant to coordinate textbook orders and other instructional materials for assigned course(s), and distribute to adjunct instructors if necessary
• Assist in recruitment and retention of students
This is a 12-month appointment with earned vacation time (or planned leave/breaks).
If you are interested in the position, please complete the employment application and attach a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy and unofficial copies of transcripts. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Founded in 1850, Urbana University serves more than 1800 students from around the world from its 128 acre campus nestled in the historic city of Urbana, Ohio. Known for innovative academic programs that feature personal attention from faculty, the University offers more than 30 undergraduate programs and several graduate degrees, delivering course work in class, online, or a combination of both. Blue Knights athletics includes 15 NCAA Division II sports along with intercollegiate bowling, cheerleading, and shooting sports.
Urbana University is committed to providing a safe workplace and learning environment for all employees, students, and visitors, as well as committed to protecting University property and operations. It is the intent of the University to ensure a safe and secure environment by conducting criminal background checks on all individuals who have received an offer of employment with the University, and to comply with all relevant state, federal and local laws governing employment and background screening in its administration of this policy. To view our pre-employment policy, please click here.
Urbana University is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive educational and workplace environment. Urbana does not discriminate on the basis of age, religion, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, ancestry, immigration status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, disability, or veteran or military status.