Athletic Communications Assistant
Urbana University, a branch campus of Franklin University, has a part-time position available as an Athletic Communications Assistant. The Athletic Communications Assistant assists with the planning and implementation of a proactive, comprehensive communications operation for the university's NCAA Division II athletics program. The Athletic Communications Assistant will play a vital role in supporting and promoting the brand of the Urbana University Blue Knights and for the institution as a whole. He/she will inform the external and internal publics of newsworthy matters concerning intercollegiate sports; conceive, write, edit, and design all collateral materials required to successfully promote the athletic teams to which they are assigned; manage pre-game, game-day, and post-competition media; compile and post statistics; and staff games.
Minimum Requirements Include:
• Bachelor's degree in an appropriate field is required.
• Solid understanding of sports and sports statistics is required.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and schedule work assignments.
• Knowledge of editorial and publications processes, systems and procedures.
• Strong written composition and editorial skills.
• Basic photography and videography and video editing skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment.
• Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
• Ability to work independently.
• Exemplary customer skills, including dealing with students, faculty, staff, athletic personnel and the media both in person, on the phone, and electronically.
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task, set and fulfill priorities, and meet deadlines.
• Carry out all responsibilities and objectives in a professional manner.
Preferred Skills and Characteristics:
• Experience in Stat Crew statistical software or a similar program.
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite products – specifically InDesign and PhotoShop.
• Experience producing videos using iMovie or Adobe Premiere Pro.
• Level of experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
• Experience writing various news releases (pre-game, post-game) and feature stories for university, state, and national magazines while using AP style.
• Experience in athletic marketing and promotions and the fulfillment of corporate sponsorship requirements.
• Experience working with diverse populations.
Founded in 1850, Urbana University serves more than 1800 students from around the world from its 128 acre campus nestled in the historic city of Urbana, Ohio. Known for innovative academic programs that feature personal attention from faculty, the University offers more than 30 undergraduate programs and several graduate degrees, delivering course work in class, online, or a combination of both. Blue Knights athletics includes 15 NCAA Division II sports along with intercollegiate bowling, cheerleading, and shooting sports.
Urbana University is committed to providing a safe workplace and learning environment for all employees, students, and visitors, as well as committed to protecting University property and operations. It is the intent of the University to ensure a safe and secure environment by conducting criminal background checks on all individuals who have received an offer of employment with the University, and to comply with all relevant state, federal and local laws governing employment and background screening in its administration of this policy. To view our pre-employment policy, please click here.
Urbana University is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive educational and workplace environment. Urbana does not discriminate on the basis of age, religion, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, ancestry, immigration status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or familial status, disability, or veteran or military status.