Credit Hour Policy
Urbana University operates on the semester-hour system. A quarter hour equals two-thirds of a semester hour. A semester hour equals one and one-half quarter hours.
Credit - No Credit Provision
The purpose of this provision is to relieve the curtailing effect of grades and thereby encourage students to investigate areas of academic interest which they might otherwise avoid. Any student not on academic probation may take up to 12 hours of electives on a Credit-No Credit basis. The student will obtain a “Petition for Credit-No Credit” from the Registrar and will, by his/her signature, assure the Registrar that the course is purely elective, being neither a general requirement nor a part of his or her major or minor. At the end of the semester, the Registrar shall convert any grade of “D” or above to a credit “CR” and a grade of “F” to a no-credit “NC.” Credit or no-credit grades will not be included in the Grade Point Average. Credit - No Credit agreements will be known only to the Registrar and student. The student’s decision to exercise this option shall be permanently binding upon the lapse of two weeks into the semester.
Once grades are submitted they are final and cannot be changed unless a formal appeal can be presented. Grades cannot be changed by arranging to do additional work. No grade may be changed after the end of the subsequent semester.
Grade Reporting and Grade Point Average
Grades are reported at the end of each semester according to the following:
- A Excellent (4 quality points allowed for each credit hour)
- B Good (3 quality points allowed for each credit hour)
- C Average (2 quality points allowed for each credit hour)
- D Poor (1 quality point allowed for each credit hour)
- F Failure (No quality points allowed) Credit for a course in which “F” has been received can be obtained by repeating and passing the course.
- CR Credit
- NC No Credit
- P Pass
- I Incomplete — In general, all requirements for completing a course must be met by the end of a semester. An incomplete grade may be given only if the student submits to the instructor a compelling reason, such as untimely illness, before the instructor submits the final grade report to the Registrar. The incomplete work from courses in which a grade of “I” is issued must be completed within eight weeks after the issuance of the Incomplete, or the “I” will be changed to what ever grade the student had earned at the time the “I” was issued. Special circum stances which indicate a need for extension of the time for completion of the course must be approved by the Instructor and the appropriate College Dean whose joint decision will be considered final. A reminder of the incomplete policy will be given to each student at the time the student receives the grade of “I.”
- N No grade reported
- R Repeat — The grade of “R” will be used to replace the initial grade when a course has been repeated. The new grade will be the grade of record. The “R” grade does not indicate quality points or credit.
- AU Audit — No credit hours earned and no credit points. Students are permitted to audit courses upon the recommendation of an Urbana University faculty member.
- W Withdraw (See “Class Withdrawal”)
- P/F Pass/Fail — The grade of “P” will not be calculated in the GPA and is equivalent to a passing grade. “F” is calculated in the GPA.
- EP Examination Passed - Credit by Examination courses.
FIGURING YOUR GPA
Your grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total amount of grade points earned by the total amount of credit hours attempted. Your grade point average may range from 0.0 to a 4.0.
Urbana University utilizes a standard 4.0 grade scale as follows:
A = 4 grade points
B = 3 grade points
C = 2 grade points
D = 1 grade point
F = 0 grade points
P (Pass) courses are not factored in the student's GPA
I (Incompletes) and W (Withdrawals) do not receive grade points and do not have an effect on the GPA
Example Student Grade Card
|Course||Credit Hours||Grade||Grade Points|
13 Total Credit Hours Attempted 31 Total Grade Points
To obtain the example student's GPA, the total grade points are divided by the total credit hours attempted.
Total Grade Points 31
Total Credit Hours Attempted divided by 13 = 2.385
To calculate your cumulative G.P.A., total the credit hours and then the grade points from all semesters. Divide the total grade points by the total credit hours
For all Urbana University students, midterm grades of “D” or “F” are processed by the Registrar and sent to the students, their academic advisors, and the Dean of Students.
REPEATING A CLASS
A student may elect or be required to repeat a course in order to improve the grade. Only the most recent grade obtained will be considered in the Grade Point Average (GPA), but no course listing will be deleted from the Official Academic Record (transcript). If a student elects to repeat a course, he/she should do so within two years of the date the original course was taken. The student who intends to repeat a course must indicate his intention at the time of registration. All Grade Point Averages and academic actions for earlier terms will remain unchanged. The current registration will show the repeated course with [ ] around the final grade on the official academic record. The Cumulative Grade Point Average at the end of the semester in which the course was repeated will reflect the drop of previous hours and quality points of the repeated course.