Windows Open House
Seven Local Churches Showcase Stained Glass Windows
URBANA, Ohio (November 20, 2012) - In conjunction with the In Company with Angels: Seven Rediscovered Tiffany Windows exhibit currently at the Urbana University Swedenborg Memorial Library, the Miller Center for Visual Arts hosts an open house of seven local churches called, Windows on Sunday, December 2, 2012 from 1 to 4 p.m. There is no charge for the Windows open house. Tickets for the Tiffany Windows exhibit may be purchased for $5 online at www.urbana.edu/angels or at the Urbana University Library.
At 3 p.m. in the Swedenborgian Church, Richard Reichart of Dayton Art Glass will speak on stained glass window construction and restoration. He has restored many of the windows in the Urbana Swedenborgian Church and was responsible for the restoration of the windows at the First Presbyterian Church.
The churches participating in the Windows open house are:
The Episcopal Church of the Epiphany, 230 Scioto Street, Urbana. Open for services in 1849, the stained glass windows used traditional Christian symbols and are made from rare Belgian glass.
First Baptist Church, 401 North Main Street, Urbana. Built in 1882, this church features a number of beautiful stained glass windows that have been contributed over the years by members of the church.
St. Mary’s Church, 231 Washington Avenue, Urbana. The current church building was dedicated in 1966. In the year 2000, the church was embellished with stained glass windows designed by Franklin Glass Studios of Columbus, Ohio.
First Presbyterian Church, 116 West Court Street, Urbana. The current church was built in1894. The recently restored stained glass windows feature a commemorative Civil War window given in memory of Wm. M. Patrick, August 3, 1862.
Swedenborgian Church, 330 South Main Street, Urbana. The church was dedicated on February 28, 1882 by the Reverend Frank Sewall. One of the stained glass windows was given in memory of Milo Williams, the first president of Urbana University.
Woodstock Universalist Church, Urbana-Woodstock Pike, Woodstock, Ohio. The church, dedicated in 1895, is currently being restored by the Woodstock Lions Club. The Civil War window was given in memory of the 66th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
Mechanicsburg United Methodist Church, 42 North Main Street, Mechanicsburg. Dedicated in 1894, the church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.
For more information about the In Company with Angels exhibit or the Windows open house, contact Christina Bruun-Horrigan, director of University Relations at Urbana University at 937-484-1354 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .