Campus Emergency Procedures
- Call emergency number: 9-911
- Specify whether you need police, ambulance or fire
- Have the following information available:
- Building name
- Room number (If a suite, suite number and room letter)
- If the emergency involves an injured person:
- Check the scene for safety; do not move the victim unless their life is endangered.
- Check the victim for consciousness, breathing, pulse and bleeding.
- Remain on the phone with the 911 operator.
- Remain with the victim until help arrives.
- Inform Campus Safety; for questions or feedback, contact Campus Safety at 1111.
Emergency Telephones are strategically located throughout campus and are identified by a blue light. You are encouraged to use the Emergency Telephones if an emergency exists. Use common sense in identifying when their use should be appropriate. Likewise, you are discouraged from using them in non-emergency situations, particularly if they are used as a false alarm prank.
- Should you need to use one of the Emergency Telephones:
- Push the button on the front. The red LED light will come on while your call is being made.
- When your call is answered, the red LED light will flash and the location of the Emergency Telephone will be announced. Then two-way conversation with the Campus Safety Officer can begin.
- Heed the advice of the Campus Safety Officer. Remain at the location and communicate with the Campus Safety Officer. Please note that the Campus Safety Officer has the immediate capability of contacting police, fire, and rescue personnel as needed. In most circumstances the Campus Safety Officer will respond to your location as soon as possible.
If you detect a fire in its early stages:
- Activate fire alarm
- Call 9-911
- Call Campus Safety (1111) or 937-484-1111 from a cell phone
If a fire alarm sounds:
Leave IMMEDIATELY and close the door behind you. Evacuate the building by the nearest exit. DO NOT use elevators.
- Check the door for heat and the hall for smoke before exiting. If it is hot, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR.
- If the door and door knob are not hot:
- Leave lights on.
- Close the windows, shades up.
- Exit the room; close the door, leaving the door unlocked.
If the door is hot and you are trapped in your room:
- Close the door and seal the cracks around the door with any type material available.
- Open the window.
- Build a fire barrier against the door using your mattress and any other available furniture.
- Stay close to the window, signal for help.
- Always remember that smoke and heat rise; stay low to the floor.
- Walk out according to Exit Plan
Do not try to locate or extinguish the fire when the fire alarm sounds. Leave through the nearest safe exit, and go at least 100 feet away from the building; DO NOT REENTER THE BUILDING UNTIL GIVEN PERMISSION BY A UNIVERSITY OFFICIAL. In the event the fire is in a residence hall, report to the Grimes Center after exiting the residence hall so that your presence is recorded. Remain there until you are given further instructions.
A tornado warning is the sounding of the emergency sirens for three minutes followed by seven minutes of silence. A warning indicates a tornado has been sighted by ground observers or has appeared on radar within Champaign County. The possibility of tornadoes during the spring and early summer months is real. If the warning sounds:
- Stay inside and be alert to falling objects. Find protection under heavy furniture.
- Stay away from windows, mirrors, glass, and unsecured objects such as bookcases.
- Proceed to a below-ground level or central hallway of the building if possible.
- Do not use elevators.
- If requested, assist persons with disabilities to the safest area on the same floor.
- Remain in the safe area until at least 10 minutes has elapsed without the sounding of sirens, or the “all clear” has been given.
- Listen to weather reports on the radio.
Safe locations at Urbana University are as follows:
- EAST—Center of first floor hallway
- SOUTH—Center of first floor hallway
- HAZARD—Laundry room, 1st floor bathrooms
- ROSS/HICKORY—Basement laundry room area
- BLACKMER/LOSCH—Bathrooms in 1st floor suites
- SYCAMORE—Center of building, first floor restrooms/bathrooms
- NORTH—First floor classrooms & stairwells