Emergency Closing Procedures
Emergency Closing Information Weather Emergency Information: 937-772-9243
Complete the Emergency Communication Information to be added to Urbana's Emergency Notification System.
In case of snow/ice conditions, the following snow/ice policy shall be in effect:
- The cancellation of classes for an entire day will occur ONLY UNDER THE MOST SEVERE snow/ice conditions. Information regarding class cancellation or delays can be obtained by calling 937-772-9243
- If weather conditions warrant, the UNIVERSITY may adopt a delayed class schedule for the day. If this occurs, an opening time will be included in the weather advisory. Commuting students and employees should exercise good judgment in deciding whether to attempt to travel to their class sites in periods of inclement weather and are encouraged not to do so when conditions might threaten their safety.
- Adult & Continuing Education and Graduate Classes - In the event of heavy snowfall/ice during later afternoon/evening, evening and graduate classes may be canceled. Students should call 937-772-9243 and listen to radio/TV stations (as indicated below) for information.
- In the event that late afternoon or evening and graduate classes are canceled due to severe weather conditions, the instructor will reschedule the missed session at a time which is mutually convenient for instructor and students.
- During snow/ice days when the University operates either on a delayed schedule or on a regular class schedule, commuter students who are unable to attend classes due to road conditions will not be penalized. Commuter students facing this situation should contact their instructors directly to indicate the reason for their absence and to request assistance concerning course materials, notes, assignments and other items pertinent to keeping current with the class.
- The following procedures will be used to inform the Urbana University community about the status of the daily schedule on snow/ice days:
- The Dean of Students will advise the Switchboard, Campus Safety and the Office of University Relations with appropriate information.
- The Public Relations Office will notify regional TV and radio stations if classes will be canceled or if the University will operate on a delayed class schedule. Those stations are: