New Student Orientation
Summer Orientation at Urbana University is designed to introduce new Urbana University students and their families to the academic and co-curricular services and programs vital to their successful transition to the Urbana community. By exposing students to the key services and opportunities, we enable them to make well-informed choices and decisions. Through a collaborative approach led by Student Affairs, the University aims to provide a structured and holistic introduction to the collegiate environment for both students and families to be informed about educational opportunities and responsibilities.
2016 Dates (for students beginning Fall Term)
- Friday, June 10
- Friday, June 24
- Friday, July 22
♦ Register Now for an Orientation Date (Registration opening soon!)
What do you do at Orientation?
Sessions for Students:
- Planning for Academic Success (by college)
- Introduction to college programs, how to create a schedule, introduction to course registration, academic advising process
- Welcome to College!
- In and Out of class expectations—self-reliance, responsibility for own learning, etc.
- U-Team Meetings
- Meet & Greet games led by U-Team Leaders
- Q&A with U-Team leader, providing perspective/lessons on navigating life at Urbana University
- With schedule, a tour of classroom buildings to give an idea of where their classes will be held
Sessions for Parents/Families:
- Partners in Transition
- Ways to support your student to graduation at Urbana University
- Safe & Healthy Campus Environment
- Q&A with Counseling, Campus Safety, Student Health, and Campus Life
- Academic Success Planning
- College Deans highlight the courses available to students and learning outcomes of chosen programs.
Your "Summer Shorts"
Summer shorts are brief information sessions about topics that interest students and families! Learn more about different areas of college life and Urbana University. Topics can include:
- NCAA & U—navigating regulations to maintain eligibility
- Accessibility programs & services
- Special topics for Transfer Students
- Feeding your College Student/Dining Services
- Career Services
- Getting Involved at UU