Major in Sports Management | BS in
Sports are no longer “just a game.” The sports industry is BIG business. Sports management oversees relationships between players, coaches, fans, owners, media, directors, operations and event management.
Sports management exists where the business and sports worlds collide. The interdisciplinary field is where you will tackle elements of accounting, economics, marketing, law, communication, psychology, publicity, coaching, and of course, sports.
Let Urbana Be Your Coach in a Competitive Sports
Many colleges offer a degree in sports management – but you won’t find the mentoring experience that is available to you as an Urbana University student. At Urbana, you’ll have access to faculty members who are eager to share the breadth of their experience with you. Our Sports Management majors learn fundamentals and then apply them in real world experiences by working with our athletic program and managing our wellness center. Moreover, our internship program is the conduit for students to gain valuable experiential learning leading to industry exposure and employment.
Achieve Your Goal of a Sports Management Degree
Sports managers need to understand the social, economic, political and legal issues that control the changing practices and development of the industry. You’ll explore connections between sports, exercise and human behavior and learn about leadership, coaching and managing athletic programs.
Urbana’s Sports Management degree prepares you for leadership, supervisory and administrative positions in corporate wellness, commercial and community-based sports, recreational and fitness arenas. This action-packed major prepares you to compete for positions as agents, scouts, managers, publicists, promoters, fundraisers, sports franchise managers and athletic directors.
Meet Dale Gresson | Faculty Spotlight
An entrepreneur at heart, Dale Gresson has owned a fitness company and trained clients in body weight and functional training methods. He spent 5 years as a manager and chief instructor of a martial arts business and is a third-degree degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo. Dale taught for 13 years an adjunct instructor before joining Urbana University in 2008. His research interests focus on the coaching profession, and his favorite subject to teach is sports psychology.
- Graduates will be able to identify the disciplines and sub-disciplines within the sport management industry.
- Graduates will be able to describe customer-centric principles and apply them to the sport setting.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate critical thinking to sport management challenges that exist within public and private sector, for-profit and not-for-profit sector, and educational sport settings.
- Graduates will able to explain the principle concepts, theories, practices, and styles of leadership in sport.
- Graduates will be able to demonstrate applied sport management principles to scenario based and practical settings.
- Graduates will be able to recognize and describe theories of human behaviors in the coaching, exercise and sport settings.
Get Started Today