Major in Sociology | BS in Sociology Degree Program
Sociology helps us understand the connection between groups, organizations and social structures in and around our world. Our goal is to help you be an informed, active citizen who is fully aware of the complex nature of social life and differentiation in society.
Equipped with a sociology major, you’ll be well-suited to make a positive difference in the lives of others. Our sociology degree program courses will stretch you to explore other cultures and belief systems and learn to respect different lifestyles. You’ll develop clarity and confidence in your personal identity and learn to express your beliefs and values with conviction.
Study at Urbana U – A Great Choice for Sociology
Studying sociology at Urbana can be one of your biggest life choices and believe us — it’s the right idea. Urbana offers a close-knit community that has a full support system you need for your four years of higher education.
With a close-knit campus community comes small class sizes, preparing you for the working world. One-on-one time with your professors means you’ll have plenty of opportunities to interact with, get to know and further your knowledge alongside an expert in the field.
What Can You Do with a Sociology Degree?
With a major in sociology, you’ll build an exceptional foundation for your future. Graduates can choose many diverse career paths from research, policymaking, service organizations, government and more.
After graduation, your sociology degree from Urbana can take you to new levels of education with boundless graduate school opportunities in business, administration, history, marketing and more.
Meet Dr. James Burnett | Sociology Faculty Spotlight
Dr. James Burnett has been using an active learning pedagogy to teach sociology and criminology courses for more than 13 years. He grew up in the civil rights movement, and carries the passions of the historical movement into the modern classroom. He is passionate about preparing highly committed students to be future leaders in helping professions.
- Students graduating with a sociology major are able to articulate the sociological perspective on human behavior.
- Students graduating with a sociology major are able to articulate the role of theory in sociology
- Students graduating with a sociology major are able to articulate the role of social research methods and data analysis in sociology.
- Students graduating with a major in sociology are able to define and illustrate key sociological concepts, summarize and communicate effectively basic knowledge and issues in substantive areas of sociology.
- Students graduating with a major in sociology are well prepared for education and employment.
- Students graduating with a sociology major should acquire an understanding of how the science of sociology produces knowledge about society, social interaction, and human behavior.
Get Started Today