Bachelor of Arts Degree
Learn. Understand. Share.
As an English major at Urbana, you’ll explore ideas and gain perspectives on history and humanity. Along the way, you’ll discover your relationship to the world and learn problem solving skills and how to better communicate your own ideas. In addition to deepening your understanding of the world, the skills you build are valued in many disciplines and will serve you well in any industry as well as graduate or law school.
Here’s what you’ll LEARN:
You’ll study literature, language and writing in a variety of genres and styles, greatly enhancing your critical thinking and communication skills. As a broad field of study involving history, philosophy, art and culture, English study prepares you to do research, analyze complex problems, think creatively and critically, and present information coherently in both speech and writing.
Upon graduation you’ll have knowledge of major authors, literary historical periods and movements, as well as major literary genres and conventions. You’ll develop strong skills in written and oral communication, but above all you can boast very well-developed research, critical thinking and analytical skills.
Here’s what you’ll DO:
- Communication Manager
- Content Creator
- Nonprofit Administrator
- Technical Writer
- Working knowledge of historical periods and literary movements in British, American, and World literatures.
- Familiarity with major authors and works in the British, American, and World traditions.
- Strong skills in written and oral communication in English, including history, grammar, and usage.
- Familiarity with contemporary and past critical methodologies in literary studies.
- Well-developed research, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of major literary genres and conventions.
Get Started Today